Located in the heart of England, University of Derby is the only University in Derby and Derbyshire. They offer industry-relevant, expert teaching, from the foundation and undergraduate degrees to postgraduate study and research. It has a long and proud heritage of using its knowledge and innovation to support the prosperity of the city and region. We welcome, support and challenge all our students to develop the blend of academic knowledge and practical skills they need to succeed in their chosen field. Our strong industry links, expert academics and real-world classroom facilities will equip and prepare you to fulfil your potential, whatever your background.
The University of Derby is delivering world-leading and internationally excellent research in Education, according to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021 results announced today. The University submitted 27 Case Studies demonstrating how research has impacted business and society across its core academic themes and subjects. Whether you study full-time, part-time, online or on-campus in Derby or Chesterfield, their wide range of subjects will help you develop the skills and confidence to aim high.
Whether you are studying in Derby or Chesterfield, you will have access to excellent facilities. Kedleston Road in Derby is home to our fantastic Sports Centre, four-Storey library, and spacious study areas. You'll also find plenty of places to eat and socialize with your friends, including Starbucks, Subway, our Union of Students' café and bar, and much more.
1. Campus Facilities
- Sports Centre - Their fantastic Sports Centre is fully equipped with state-of-the-art facilities.
- Library - Their libraries are full of print and digital resources to support your studies.
- Multi-Faith Centre - Their Multi-Faith Centre has a team of chaplains and faith consultants who are always available to talk to if you need personal and confidential support.
2. Arts, Humanities and Education Facilities
- Derby Theatre – You will have a rare and exceptional learning experience at Derby Theatre. They are one of the only universities in the country to own and run a professional producing and receiving theatre.
- Design Digital Hub - The Digital Design Hub is based at Markeaton Street and you will get hands on experience using industry standard equipment.
- Fashion and Technology Hub - Their Chandos Pole Street building contains new specialist facilities for Fashion and Textiles. These include light and airy studio spaces and industry-standard equipment and design facilities.
- Makerspace - The Makerspace Facility with the name on the wall. Students are sat around at tables and desks doing work.
- Film and TV studios – University's Markeaton Street site has a dedicated film and television studio space for teaching and student projects - and experienced technicians who provide support.
- Britannia Mill studios - Britannia Mill Studios are well equipped for students from Art and Design, Fashion and Therapeutic Arts courses.
- Media Loan Hub - The Media Loan Hub is their equipment center and you can use it to book out cameras, lighting and sound equipment.
- Music studios - Our Markeaton Street site include sound technology labs, surround-sound testing rooms and electronic labs.
- Outdoor Learning Space - The Institute of Education has a Forest School Practitioner, offering Forest School sessions across all programs of Education.
- Photography lab - The Photography lab at Markeaton Street has outstanding facilities that are the envy of many experienced professional photographers.
- Therapeutic Arts Dance Studio - Their Kedleston Road dance studio is housed within the Kirtley Building and comes with floor to ceiling mirrors and a sprung floor.
3. Business, Law and Social Sciences
- Financial Markets Lab - Their students can gain hands-on experience using the same information and technology relied on by financial professionals all over the world, in our Financial Markets Lab.
- Crown Court - Their Crown courtroom is now located at One Friar Gate Square, a modern and iconic building which houses state-of-the-art facilities including Crown Court, labs and interview rooms.
- One Friar Gate Square - Their law, criminology, policing, social and political science students are based here and its specialist facilities include a Crown Court, criminology lab and interview rooms.
- Custody Suite - Designed to replicate the facilities you would find in a modern-day police station, their Custody Suite features a booking-in desk, a cell and interview rooms.
- Community Justice Hub - The Community Justice Hub in Derby city center allows students from the university’s School of Law and Social Sciences to work collaboratively with the police and council to tackle crime across the city.
- Student Legal Advice Centre - The Student Legal Advice Centre is run by LLB (Hons) students and provides public members with free legal advice on many areas of law.
4. Science and Engineering
- Architecture studio - Our dedicated Architecture studio is a creative space used for lectures and seminars, one-to-one sessions, group work and presentations to employers.
- Auditorium 3 - Sound, Light and Live Event Technology - Students in our Entertainment Engineering courses get to practice their developing skills using industry-standard equipment.
- Computing Laboratories - All labs contain dual-screen, multiprocessor computers equipped with a variety of industry-standard commercial and open-source software, and there are dedicated technicians to provide support.
- Electronics Laboratories - We have specialist electronics laboratories dedicated to the Electrical and Electronic Engineering degrees taught at our Markeaton Street site in Derby.
- Engineering workshops - The engineering workshops at Markeaton Street include a motorsport workshop, mechanical and manufacturing engineering workshop, wood workshop, metal workshop and crafts workshop.
- STEM Centre - Their 4,200m² extension provides additional computer studios and specialist facilities for engineering, technology and computing students.
- Aquatic Research Facility - Their Aquatic Research Facility offers our students a unique opportunity to participate in high-level research and work with some world leaders in aquarium and zoo research.
- Crime Scene House – University's state-of-the-art Crime Scene House is dedicated to supporting your studies, offering a stimulating learning environment to explore the dynamic world of Forensic Science.
- Forensic Laboratories – University's suite of forensic facilities, situated at the top of the North Tower, house specialist equipment allowing you to perform various molecular techniques from chromatography to heavy metal analysis.
- Glasshouse - Their glass house is used to keep plants from diverse habitats, from deserts to tropics. Insectary - Their Insectory houses many different species of insects for you to examine and learn about.
- Scanning electron microscope - Their scanning electron microscope (SEM) can magnify objects up to 20- 30,000 times and play a key role in technological developments, industry and research.
- Physiology Laboratory - Housed within the Kirtley Building are our specialist laboratories, with facilities to undertake physiological and biomechanical assessments.
- Strength and Conditioning Suite - Students on Strength and Conditioning modules have access to this space at the Sports Centre as part of their studies.
- Human Performance Unit - The Human Performance Unit has been established to provide expert sport science services to sports clubs and individual athletes, from beginners to elite performers.
- Performance Analysis Suite - Their performance analysis suite is fully equipped with 20 dual-screen iMac computers. Students will use this facility within teaching and practical sessions.
5. Health, Psychology and Social Care
- Artificial patients - Providing realistic medical training, their Clinical Skills Suite has several high-quality artificial patients from individual limbs to technically advanced simulation dolls.
- Diagnostic imaging suite - The Fujifilm Advanced Visionary X-ray Suite, the first to be installed in a university in the UK.
- Image Reporting Suite - The Image Reporting Suite enables pre-registration students to gain valuable image interpretation skills. The development of reporting radiographers is an initiative that ultimately mean.
- Immersive Interactive Simulation Suite - You can gain experience using their Immersive Interactive Simulation Suite, combining innovative technology, virtual reality, interactive 3D graphics and audio content.
- NHS Standard mock hospital ward - The hospital ward is complete with teaching facilities, a nurse's station and simulated learning patients to provide a lifelike taste of working in a modern hospital.
- Psychology and counselling suite - These suites combine observation rooms with two-way mirrors and DVD recording equipment.
- Rehabilitation kitchen – Derby University’s rehabilitation kitchen gives you the chance to learn in a supported learning environment. Full of specialist equipment, you’ll have everything you need to master your practical skills.
- Ultrasound Room - The suite includes state-of-the-art Medaphor Scan Trainer Ultrasound simulators, enabling student sonographers to gain vital scanning experience before entering the clinical environment.