Welcome To Dolphin Education Consultancy.

Stay back in Canada

Stay Back in Canada – Two Year post study work visa

Hello Readers!!

Thanks for joining with Dolphin Education Consultancy!!

We promise to keep you updated on the most wanted study destinations and the visa policies of the country of your choice.

Today let us see about the new rules implemented in Canadian student visa policies. Check out the UK Post study work visa here.


Canada has more than 3 Lakh international students applying to study every year. The choice of universities in Canada varies from major institutions to small colleges and universities.

They provide so many specialization degrees both in under graduation and post-graduation. In addition to that several professional diploma and certification courses are also available.


When you think of studying abroad, you will consider the following factors:

  •  Quality of Education
  •  International Course Recognition
  •  Employability
  •  Budget friendliness
  •  Student safety

All these points can be easily satisfied by the Canadian educational institutions. This makes Canada as one of the students favored destinations in the world.


You must satisfy the below conditions to study in Canada:

  •  Get an offer letter from any registered Canadian University
  •  Have the financial proof to afford your tuition fee and accommodation fee (for your family as well if they are accompanying you)
  •  No criminal records
  •  Health certificate to prove your well being
  •  Satisfy the conditions to leave Canada after completing your studies
  •  A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also be required.


Canada has rules to support students who likes to work while they are studying. A student can work under any one of the below three categories:

1. On Campus without Work Permit:

If you are a full-time student at a college / university or any other recognized educational institution and have a valid study permit and Social Insurance number, you can work in the college campus.

2. Off Campus with Work Permit:

  •  To choose this option, a student should have a study permit for a course that has more than six months of duration.
  •  You are allowed to work for 20 hours per week during your regular academic sessions.
  •  You can work full time during holiday like summer/winter breaks, etc.

3. Co-op and internship programs:

  •  Some of the courses may require internship employment as an essential part for the academics.
  •  In that case students with a valid student visa are allowed to get work permit for the intended employment.
  •  The duration of the internship program should not exceed 50% of the actual course duration.


In Canada, post-graduation work permit (PGWP) allows the international students to stay and work in Canada after their graduation

The duration of the post study work permit may vary from 8 months to 3 years. This open work permit allows the students to work for any employer in any location in Canada.

CastleSmart Scholarship


To obtain a post-graduation work permit, you should meet the following requirements:

  •  You must have studied a full-time course with minimum duration of eight months in any of the approved universities in Canada.
  •  The work permit visa should be applied within 180 days of the completion of your course.
  •  Transcripts/Course completion letter or any other official statement from the university should be submitted by the students.
  •  A valid student visa is needed while applying for post-graduation work permit.


The post study work permit in Canada allows the students to stay for a minimum of eight months to maximum three years. The duration depends upon the course length.

  •  Less than eight months: Post graduation work permit is not applicable.
  •  Less than two years: If your course is less than two years but more than eight months, post-graduation work permit is provided according to the duration of the course.
  •  University of Greenwich International Travel Bursary
  •  Two years or More: Three years of post-graduation work permit is provided
  •  More than 1 course: Three years of post-graduation work permit is provided


Accelerated Studies:

If a student has accelerated their studies and completes a 1-year course in less time, let's say 8 months, the student is still eligible for post-graduation work permit of 1 year.

Transfer between universities:

  •  Sometimes students may be required to transfer from one educational institution to other. Total duration at both the institutions can be considered for post-graduation work permit.
  •  This scenario can be considered only if the universities are eligible designated learning institution.

Courses with overseas collaboration:

  •  Some of the courses can be collaborated with other universities in some other countries.
  •  For this, post-graduation work permit can be provided only for the time spent in Canada.

Distance Learning:

  •  Distance learning can also be considered as online learning. If a student completes 50% or more of the course by distance learning (within or outside Canada), post-graduation work permit will not be granted.
  •  In case, the student completed less than 50% of the course through online, post-graduation work permit may be issues based on the remaining course duration.

Recent update in Online Learning:

  •  Due to the prevailing conditions due to Corona, international students who start their course in fall 2020 can complete up to 50% of their course while overseas.
  •  The online learning time will not be deducted from their designated post-graduation work permit.
  •  Also, as per new rules, students who spend their time outside Canada till December 31, 2020 will not have the time deducted from their actual course length.


Post-graduation work permit is highly anticipated among the international students as it provides working experience right after graduating. Such work experience provides a major advantage to get their work visa and while submitting their federal / provincial immigration application.

Also, former international students are rewarded with additional points for their Canadian education and work experience. Some of the above new policies will encourage the students to pursue their studies for January intake rather than deferring their course.

Canada has proven to be one of the worlds’ most attractive study destinations. The newly announced post-graduation work permit will make Canada more attractive for international students.

Have you been attracted to the new post-graduation work permit policies of Canada? Then why to hold back?

Take your mobile and a give a call to our student counselors on+91 77087 58508 or +91 94889 72333

You can also contact us via mail [email protected]

Thanks for taking your time to read our blog! Wait to see what our next topic would be!!

If you have any queries contact us